|New York Public Library Guild Local 1930|
Why DC37 Members Need and Deserve A Raise
Key Reasons our Members Need and Deserve a Raise
• Inflation - Since March of 2009, the last time our members had a wage increase, the Consumer Price Index rose by 7.9 percent. Our members need a wage increase just to keep up with the rising cost of living.
• Productivity - Over the past few years, layoffs and attrition have reduced the City workforce by the thousands, forcing our members to do more with less. Yet our members have conslstenlv risen to the challenge, delivering the same or even increased levels of service with fewer employees.
• Overtime - The City spent $1.2 billion on overtime in FY 2012. Better management of its overtime usage, and a reduction on excessive overtime would save the City substantial sums annually and help fund a wage increase.
• Privatization - The City spends billions of dollars annually paying people who aren't public employees, doing work formerly done by our members (and other public servants). Numerous private contracts have annual cost
• DC 37 Provided the City with Significant Revenue-Generating Ideas. We provided the City with numerous recommendations to raise revenue, including the hiring of additional auditors that the City itself estimates will
• Comparing settlement of PEF and CSEA with the State of New York is not an apples-to-apples comparison with our members.
** State employees receive step increases even if they do not receive collective bargaining increases, while ours do not.
Prepared by the Department of Research and Negotiations, District Council 37, AFSCME, AFL-C/O, September 2012.
© American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, AFL-CIO. All rights reserved.
Photographs and illustrations, as well as text, cannot be used without permission from AFSCME.